Importing Spreadsheets into XML
Dan McCreary
2009-08-19 12:05:15 UTC
Hi Jesse,

I would strongly recommend you try using the Import tool in the oXygen
to import Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. They have a 30 day trial that
you can use to test the import.

After almost three years of importing XML from Excel spreadsheets I
can tell you there are many, many problems that oXygen gets around.
The problem you noted is just one of many. There are also problems
with HTML content, special character and inconsistent processing that
oXygen also manages.

If you can send me a sample of the data I can walk you through the process.

- Dan
--
Dan McCreary
Senior Enterprise Data Architecture and Strategy Consulting
http://www.danmccreary.com
Vyacheslav Sedov
2009-08-19 17:14:17 UTC
Hi,

Probably for OOXML & ODF it is better to use decompression function
and XSLT or XQuery for data extraction. For importing older binary
document format we use http://poi.apache.org/ library attached to
eXist in one of our eXist-based government reporting system where many
customers still often use binary format for reporting, it work good -
today i even got money for this system (: first stage of system
similar to original Cybersyn from Chile - Cybersyn-2 Russian edition
:). But I hope binary document format will be eliminated soon -
relatively so simple to get data from binary document but creation is
much more complex thing.

Supporting both ODF & OOXML is hard but adding support for binary
format is like hell for XML developer (especially if you use some more
complex features like conditional formatting in Excel).

I seen in news that Microsoft drop non-paid support for MS Office 2003
in April 2009, so why developers still should do it?

With best wishes,
Slav
Gary Larsen
2009-08-19 18:13:17 UTC
Hi,

I'm not sure if this fits the discussion, but the method I use is to use a
stylesheet to generate Excel XML format.

gary
Thomas White
2009-08-26 10:15:21 UTC
Gary,

Would you like to share some of your XSLT transformation or even better post a short article in http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XQuery.

Regards,
Thomas

Crystal Reports now. http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july
Gary Larsen
2009-08-26 12:40:54 UTC
Hi Thomas,

I don't have a small sample ready but I've attached the XSLT that I use to
convert XQuery results to a format that is compatible with Excel (2003+ I
believe).

gary

_____

Would you like to share some of your XSLT transformation or even better post
a short article in http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XQuery.

Regards,

Thomas

"Gary Larsen" <***@envisn.com> wrote in message news:***@envisnofc.com...

Hi,

I'm not sure if this fits the discussion, but the method I use is to use a
stylesheet to generate Excel XML format.

gary

_____

trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus
on
Crystal Reports now. http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july

_____
Thomas White
2009-08-26 13:31:51 UTC
Gary,
Thank you very much for the XSLT.
I think if we have a small XML file as well, where the XSLT can be seen in action, will make the example stylesheet even more usefull.

Thomas White
2009-08-26 10:12:43 UTC
Slav,

I think it will be very beneficial to eXist community if we have a module
or some other working example for importing data from Excel documents into
eXist db. Feature like this can make eXist very attractive platform
especially when a lot of legacy data is available in Excel format.

Thomas